Listen on Spotify / Apple / Anchor / scroll down for our podcast player!
This week we’re talking about ego, allyship, and debriefing Olivia’s time at the Treaty People Gathering on White Earth Reservation in northern Minnesota. The gathering was organized as part of the Indigenous-led effort to stop Enbridge’s Line 3 tar sands pipeline.
For more on the pipeline and why it needs to be stopped, check out our minisode on the issue.
In this episode, we’re talking about what happened, dismantling white supremacy in activist spaces, respecting security culture, and finding your role in a movement.
Mentioned in the Episode
The Line 3 pipeline protests are about much more than climate change by Alexandria Herr for Grist
Wild rice is what’s known as an indicator species — meaning it tends to reflect the overall health of an ecosystem — and it requires abundant, clean water in order to grow. The crop is therefore especially vulnerable to oil spills. The new Line 3 is set to pass through the heart of Minnesota’s wild rice lakes — some of the best remainingwild rice waters in the world.The Line 3 pipeline protests are about much more than climate change, Grist
Another article on wild rice:
Enbridge’s Line 3 Is Putting Wild Rice at Risk—and Indigenous Water Protectors Are Taking a Stand by Lynn Sue Mizner for Civil Eats
Check out the post for our minisode on Line 3 for more resources and ways to get involved.
How You Can Help:
- Sign the Action Network petition to tell Biden to Stop Line 3 – which he (still) has the power to do!!
- Talk about it! Your vocal support is vital.
- Follow Indigenous leaders and organizations like: Honor The Earth @HonorTheEarth, Tara Houska @zhaabowekwe, Giniw Collective @giniwcollective, Winona LaDuke @winonaladuke, Stop Line 3! @stopline3pipeline, Resist Line 3 @resist_line_3, and Indigenous Environmental Network.
- Donate to the Treaty People Gathering and related groups like Honor the Earth, Interfaith delegation, donate directly to the frontlines via Stop Line 3
- Look into Stop the Money Pipeline, which is targeting the banks funding climate destruction. If you have accounts with them, consider divesting. #DefundLine3
- Host a screening of the Stop Line 3 film or host a teach-in for your local community.
- Educate yourself! And look for opportunities to support Indigenous communities and Indigenous sovereignty in your own area.
Yellow Bird: Oil, Murder, and a Woman’s Search for Justice in Indian Country by Sierra Crane Murdoch
Trace Material: Stories from the Plastics Age and keep an ear out for Olivia in the credits 🙂
The World Is Burning bookshop is live! Help us come up with book list titles and bulk up our reading list.
Our World is Burning themed playlist is on Spotify.
You can keep up with us on Twitter and Instagram.
If you enjoyed this episode, considering reviewing us on Apple Podcasts and downloading/subscribing/following wherever you like to do those things. It helps us immensely.
Thanks for listening!