On this week’s no-frills episode, we’re telling you how to prepare for extreme heat, what to do in the middle of a heat wave, and how to recognize heat-related illness to keep you and your loved ones safe.
Key timecodes for this episode:
01:30 – How to prepare your home for extreme heat
05:52 – How to plan according to the weather
10:55 – How to read important heat indicators
15:08 – What to do if you’re dealing with extreme heat now
25:17 – How to recognize heat-related illness
Stay damp, stay hydrated, and stay cool!
Story: How to Survive Extreme Heat (Elise)
What Is a Heat Index Chart?, The Old Farmer’s Almanac, May 2021
WetBulb Globe Temperature, NOAA
How to cope and stay safe in extreme heat, Better Health Channel
11 Tips for Surviving A Heat Wave Without Air-Conditioning, MedicineNet
Heat Waves: 10 Tips For Extreme Heat Safety, The Old Farmer’s Almanac, June 2021
How to Survive Extreme Heat In the Great Outdoors, LifeHacker, June 2018
This Grist post is worth a read if you’re worried about fossil fuel-powered air conditioning: Air conditioning heats the climate. So how can I keep cool?
If you enjoyed this episode, considering reviewing us on Apple Podcasts and downloading/subscribing/following wherever you like to do those things. It helps us immensely.
Thanks for listening!
Ep. 58 – Questionable Inventions – The One-Man Climate Disaster and Period Underwear – World Is Burning
- Ep. 58 – Questionable Inventions – The One-Man Climate Disaster and Period Underwear
- Ep. 57 – The Multiverse – Destroying Electric Cars and Healing the Ozone Hole
- World Is Burning Presents: Bottle Episode – Daiquiris and Digressions with Nick Dolan
- Ep. 56 – Earth Day and Greenwashing
- Ep. 55 – Botanical Sexism and Bed-Stuy's Tree Lady Hattie Carthan